At the Leeds City Council Budget meeting Cllr Ann Blackburn (Green Group Leader) moved an amendment on behalf of the Green Party Group which proposed:
- To freeze the Council Tax for pensioner households over 65.
- To introduce free home care, day care, and meals for all 85 year olds and over (in receipt of social care).
- A 25% subsidy on school meals for all 5, 6, and 7 year olds.
- The introduction of a £1m loan scheme to assist householders with home energy improvements
- A £233,000 cut in Members’ Allowances
- To stop food at Council Teas
- To abolish the civic newspaper
- A 50% cut in consultancy fees
- A 1% reduction in transport costs
- 5% savings on energy
Cllr Ann Blackburn said:
“Our admendment concentrates on those who are retired on fixed incomes and those withh young children. It also seeks through the Home Energy Efficiency Loan Scheme to deal with fuel poverty, while at the same time cutting carbon emissions.”
(The amendment was defeated).